Last Updated: August 25, 2015
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account; subscribe to our Services; provide information or promote your services as an “expert” through the Services; participate in any interactive areas or features of the Services; subscribe to a newsletter or email list; access or download content through the Services; communicate with experts or other users through the Services; interact with us via third-party social media sites; register for an event organized by us; complete a survey; fill out a form; request customer support or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include:
- Account Information, such as your name, email address, username, password, postal address, phone number, company name and contact details, job title, work experience, photographs and any other information you choose to provide;
- Payment Information, such as your credit card or other payment method; and
- Other Information You Choose to Provide, such as when you participate in the interactive areas or features of the Services or request technical or customer support.
In some cases, we also may collect information you provide about others. For example, if you refer an individual to us to become an expert, we may collect information such as the name, email address and other contact details of that individual.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Services, including your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, web request, access times, pages viewed, content you upload, access or download, number of correspondence you send or receive, number of contacts you add to your address book, web browser, links clicked and the page you visited before navigating to the Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the mobile device or computer you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Location Information: We may collect information about the location of your device when you access or use our Services or otherwise consent to the collection of this information. For more details, please see “Your Choices” below.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies, including cookies and web beacons, to collect information. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us to improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, if you apply to become an expert, we will collect information about you from various third-party sources to verify your profile information, credentials and other information you provide.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services;
- Send you an invitation or other correspondence related to becoming a subscriber to or an expert on the Services;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions and send you related information;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests, and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions and events offered by RANE and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Transfers of Your Information Abroad
RANE is based in the United States, and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
RANE complies with the US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework and has certified our adherence to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of Notice, Choice, Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity, Access and Enforcement with respect to personal data collected from individuals in the EU and Switzerland. For more information about the Safe Harbor program and to view our certification, please visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor website.
Sharing of Information
- With experts and other users in connection with your use of the Services, including when you use interactive areas or features of the Services or participate in an online conference or an event;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work or perform services on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of RANE or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We also may share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
RANE takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account or by emailing us at privacy@RANEnetwork.com. If you wish to delete or deactivate your account, please email us at privacy@RANEnetwork.com. Please note, however, that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
When you first launch any of our mobile applications that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of this information. If you initially consent to our collection of location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing your preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, certain features of our mobile applications will no longer function. You also may stop our collection of location information by following the standard uninstall process to remove all of our mobile applications from your device.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from RANE by following the instructions in those communications or by emailing us at privacy@RANEnetwork.com. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
With your consent, we may send push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
One State Street Plaza
New York, NY 10004, USA
In addition, individuals in the EU or Switzerland can direct privacy-related inquires or complaints to privacy@RANEnetwork.com. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your inquiry or complaint, or if your inquiry or complaint is not satisfactorily addressed by RANE, you can refer your inquiry or complaint to JAMS for mediation pursuant to the JAMS International Mediation Rules.